June 2, 2017
Described as “the most exciting music in jazz today” by Wall Street Journal, saxophonist Steve Lehman joins the Present Music ensemble in Milwaukee’s Fifth Ward for the last concert of this 2016-17 season. Lines blur, genres disappear, and music is born on the spot as Lehman and composer/pianist Cory Smythe embark on an improvisational adventure, including the premiere of a new composition by Smythe. BOUNDARIES is part chamber concert, part nightclub, and part musical chemistry lab. Don’t miss this exhilarating finale to our 35th season!
Please note: this concert will be performed at 6pm and again at 9pm, with a DJ set by Jordan Lee in between.
Tickets: $15/25/35 (depends on seating), students half-price
Click here to buy tickets or call the Box Office at 414-271-0711 (M-F, 10am-2pm).
• Kaija Saariaho – ‘Petals’ (1988) for cello and live electronics
• Steve Lehman – ‘Laamb’ (2016) for alto saxophone, piano, and electronics
• Cory Smythe – ‘Two Rooms’ (2014) for alto saxophone, piano, and live electronics
• Cory Smythe – ‘Reenactment’ (2017) for piano, quarter tone guitar, violin, and viola
• Steve Lehman – ‘Nos Revi Nella’ (2010) for string quartet
• Anthony Braxton – ‘Composition No. 6L’ (1971) for saxophone and piano
• Ben Johnston – ‘String Quartet No. 4’ (‘Amazing Grace’) (1973) for string quartet
• Steve Lehman (arr. Cory Smythe) – ‘Dub’ (2008) for piano, alto saxophone, and string quartet